Subject: Guidelines regarding precautions to be observed by schools to combat the ill-effects of heat wave.
The prevalling heat wave in various parts of Kashmir Division may pose a risk at times to the health of the school going Students. Therefore to combat the ill effects of the heat wave, the heads of all Educational Institutions (Government as well as Private) are advised to adhere to the below guidelines. These guidelines are advisory in nature and schools may use as per local conditions in the manner deemed fit to prepare their own SOPs/Guidelines to combat ill effects of the heat wave in their schools. The guidelines shall be disseminated among Parents, Students and Teachers for maximum care and benefits.
1. Modifications in daily routines:
- Morning Assembly should be brief and conducted in such an area (or in classrooms) where students are not exposed to direct sunlight;
- Sports and other outdoor activities be adjusted in early hours;
- Care be taken during assembly and dispersal of students;
- Drinking water and first aid kits must be available in buses;
- School Buses/Vans be parked in shaded areas;
- Parents be sensitized to pick up the children personally wherever applicable;
- Overcrowding in school buses be strictly avoided and students as per seating capacity be carried
- Sufficient potable water be kept available at multiple places preferably in Water Coolers/Earthen (Pitchers);
- Students should be sensitized regarding proper hydration and advised to sip water at regular intervals;
- Increased hydration naturally results in increased use of washrooms so washrooms need to be kept in clean and hygienic conditions.
4. Food and Meals:
- Meals served to students under PM POSHAN must be served hot and fresh;
- Students carrying food in Tiffin be advised to bring light food for lunch which would not become stale easily;
- Lunch of the students be checked before consumption;
5. Do’s and Don’ts to be displayed at prominent places:
- Drink sufficient water even if not thirsty;
- Use ORS (Oral Rehydration Solution), homemade drink like Lassi, Lemon Water etc. to keep yourself hydrated;
- Cover your head by Hat, Umbrella or scarf etc.
- Stay indoors as much as possible;
- In case of illness or faintness, consult doctor immediately;
- Don’t go outside empty stomach or Immediately after consuming food;
- Avoid direct sun especially in the afternoon; Don’t go outside barefoot;
- Don’t eat junk/spicy or stale food;
The Instructions shall be strictly adhered to.